Sunday, May 19, 2013

Chocolate Glazed Baked Doughnuts and World Baking Day


Today is World Baking Day. Really could you have any other excuse to bake?! So to celebrate I made these Chocolate Glazed Baked Doughnuts!

I had never tried a baked doughnut previously, but these are a very pleasant alternative. Ok, so I also have never tried making my own fried doughnuts before, but I do love my Krispy Kreme's. To me nothing can beat a original glazed KK, or a custard filled chocolate-glazed for when I'm feeling indulgent.

Although baked doughnuts don't have the same texture and taste of a warm fried doughnut, they are still delightful in their own way, not to mention healthier. Still, I halved the measurements of the original recipe, because with all the baking that goes on in our house nowadays, I hate to see anything go to waste. As I mentioned before, we aren't really a sweet-tooth family on the whole. I'm really the only one with a massive sweet-tooth. But that is another story!

Back to the doughnuts, these are topped with a chocolate glaze and a helping of sugar sprinkles, to look just like a classically decorated doughnut. The batter is quick and easy to prepare, sort of like preparing a pancake batter. If you don't have a doughnut/doughnut hole pan, you can use any baking pan with round moulds. I used the same one as for my mini baklava cups.
Light, moist and airy, chocolate glazed baked doughnuts are still going to satisfy that fried doughnut craving for when you can't pop out to your nearest Krispy Kreme's or Dunkin' Donuts.

On a separate note, I have a Facebook page! Do join for regular post updates, and follow my Twitter and Instagram (@beelabakes) too if you like!

Happy World Baking Day :)

Chocolate Glazed Baked Doughnuts

Doughnut recipe adapted from a recipe by The Washington Post, which is adapted from a recipe by Ina Garten

Makes 14 mini round doughnuts or 7 large

Doughnut pan or small round moulded pan
Oil, for brushing pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tspn baking powder
Half tspn cinnamon powder
Pinch of nutmeg powder
Pinch of salt
Half a large egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 tblspn butter, melted
1 tspn vanilla essence

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Brush doughnut pan with oil, then sieve a little flour all over pan. In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and mix in the sugar. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, without over-mixing. Pour batter into the moulds of doughnut pan, until the moulds are only half full. You do not want to fill them too much as they will rise when baking. Bake for about 15 minutes, until doughnuts are puffed and golden, using a toothpick to test for doneness. Leave to cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.

For the chocolate glaze:

1 cup single cream
1 cup dark chocolate, chopped (about 100g)

While doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze by heating single cream in a pan, until the cream starts to boil. Put off the heat and add the chocolate to the cream straight away. Stir well until all the chocolate has melted and the glaze is smooth. Dip doughnuts individually into the glaze and serve warm.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Your doughnuts look totally gorgeous and I love the look of the chocolate glaze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie! Its definitely a delicious glaze!

      Delete
  2. I need a donut pan! These look so yummy!
    I'm visiting you today from Simply Dream and Create. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia for stopping by and for the invite! I will make sure I link up for this Tuesday :)

      Delete
  3. Oh..now, I want doughnuts for breakfast tomorrow :) These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I'm sure a few for breakfast wouldn't hurt! :D

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the look of these! :) I've been searching for baked doughnuts recipes & I cannot wait to try this one! I think my toddler would love them too; they're the perfect size for his little hands! Thanks for sharing with us; I've pinned this recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fabulous, and I love that they are baked! I love the size too, and all the chocolate and sprinkles on top! :) They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! They are perfectly two bite size and I agree, very cute :D

      Delete
  6. These look really yummy and I love that they are baked! I hopped over from 36th Avenue Hope you have a great weekend!

    We would love for you to link this up with us at Living Well Spending Less! You can link up any of your thrifty projects each Thursday - we would love to have you join us! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, thanks for stopping over! Would love to link up with you too :)

      Delete
  7. Those are adorable!!! I really need to pull out my doughnut pan and try these, they look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It will definitely be worth it if you do :D

      Delete

© Beela Bakes | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig